Friday, May 4, 2012

chocolate cream cakes - raw and vegan

I've mentioned it before, but I'm not really a dessert person.

I used to be though, before I got married. Cakes, loafs, pies, muffins, crumbles, cookies - you name it, I was there.

But, with a husband not really interested in sweets and my strong will to lighten up on the sugar, I guess I've dramatically cut back.
Apart from fruit.. love fruit!


In turn, my baking tin stock is pretty low.

Luckily, there was a sale on baking trays this past weekend and I got a bit excited.. 

When I was paying for my new purchases, the lady at the counter asked what I planned to do with them, and I stated that I'm trying to do a food blog and needed some more essentials.
She then said 'if only these items could be tax deductible for you' - how perfect would that be! I love new gadgets in the kitchen and to get them on tax...! Ah well, keep dreaming.



Anyway, it was my mother-in-laws birthday this week and what better opportunity to try out my new mini muffin trays.

I decided to make up these raw mini vegan chocolate cream cakes.
They took about 15 mins from start to finish* and couldn't be more simple.
Oh they turned out so delicious. 
The base was delightfully biscuity and the cream filling like a rich chocolate mousse (without the guilt).

*Not including soaking time


Ingredients

(makes 12 mini cakes)

Base
3 dried dates, soaked in 50 ml of warm water for 30 mins
1/2 c almond meal
2 tblsp raw cocoa powder, heaped
1 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt

Remove dates from water - keeping the water for later.
Combine all ingredients in the food processor and blend until crumbly. The mixture should stick together when compressed.
Divide the base into a 12 capacity mini muffin tray and press down firmly.

Filling
1/2 c raw cashews, soaked for 30 mins and drained
10 drops of stevia
1/4 agave syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence
water from the dates

1/4 coconut oil, liquid
1/4 raw cocoa powder

Combine cashews, stevia, agave, vanilla and water in the food processor and process until creamy.
Then add the coconut oil and cocoa powder and continue to process until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the food processor as necessary.
Spoon cream on top of the cake base and refrigerate for 6-7 hours before serving.
Serve with a sprinkling of coconut and some fresh berries.

Base pressed into muffin tray

 Cake filling spooned on top of base

enjoy xo

1 comment:

  1. You know how much of a sweet tooth I am... I ll be trying these! Grace xx

    ReplyDelete