Tuesday, May 1, 2012

homemade brown rice milk




You can only get better, right?!

A couple of weeks ago I rolled my Volkswagen Beetle which was an automatic. 
Apart from the whole 'crashed my car thing', this was a little inconvenient because I quickly (1 minute kind of quickly) had to learn stick. 

I was telling my Grandad that I now had to learn to drive a manual and in my optimism I've said "as they say practice makes perfect", only to have him respond by saying "no, Jena, practice makes better".
When you think about it, it's very true.


There is so much that I am practicing to get better at - driving a manual car, taking pictures for the blog, adapting recipes.. etc... etc...


So here we go, this post is a recipe for my 'better' brown rice milk.



It's 'better' because this is the second time that I have made brown rice milk. 


The first time didn't turn out so good, I think it had to do with the fact that I cut a very crucial corner in the cooking time. Instead of a couple of hours, I only boiled the rice until it was cooked.

This time around I had it on the stove for a lot longer and the difference in waiting the extra time has been well worth it!


Ingredients

(makes 1L)

3/4 short grain brown rice
water

agave syrup & salt (optional)

Combine rice with 4 cups of water and bring to boil.
Simmer for about an hour.
After the hour, mash down the rice mixture and add another 2-3 cups of water.
Bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 45 mins.
At this stage you can add a pinch of salt and a tblsp of agave syrup, if desired.
Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for about 30 seconds.
Let the mixture cool and then strain through a muslin cloth (or a new clean chux cloth).
Store in the refrigerator for about a week.


yum x

No comments:

Post a Comment