Sunday, June 3, 2012

raw brussel sprout salad


We've hit June and so begins the days of Winter.

Just before the rains begin, I manage to duck outside and grab a shot of the driveway. I want to share it with you because it has just been so pretty!

It'll be sad to say goodbye to the golden and red colours that have lined our front fence for the past few months.

The leaves will turn to mush, decompose and re-nourish the Earth. 
Then the grass will grow in Spring and so the cycle of life continues.


Well, before it gets too cold - let me share a favourite salad of ours.

Brussel sprouts are totally underestimated if you ask me.
Growing up we never really had them and to be completely honest with you, I never thought I would be into these 'mini cabbages'.

 I guess as a 'common' vegetable, sprouts often get over looked.


After leaving home and fending for myself, I started experimenting with any new ingredient I could get my hands on - including brussel sprouts.

And, we loved them.
Not only love, but get excited when we see them for sale at the markets.
It's a bit sad really...

But sprouts are so tasty.
Especially raw - you'll be surprised at the peppery bite of this nutritional punching little package.


Brussel sprouts actually hold twice as much protein as other cruciferous vegetables with approximately 3.5 g per serving (1 cup), along with 100 mg (120% of your daily) Vitamin C and 160 mg (190% of your daily) Vitamin K*.

*Vitamin K is a regulator of inflammatory responses. We need a regular intake of this vitamin in order to avoid chronic, excessive inflammation.


Ingredients

(serves 2)

2 red radish, finely sliced
1 lebanese cucumber, finely sliced
7-8 brussel sprouts, shredded or finely sliced
1 tblsp quality olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt and a turn of pepper

Arrange cucumber and radish on a plate.
Combine all remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and toss thoroughly.
Add to the cucumber and radish.
Serve.



 Nom nom..

No comments:

Post a Comment