Friday, June 22, 2012

sprouting: how to


It's just earth shattering when you go to pick a few leaves off your kale plant and you see this!

More like, you see nothing..

All munched up.



Meanwhile...

On the other side of the garden... it's a little bit sad... the possums have walked all over my purple carrots and eaten my brussel sprouts, kohl rabi and broccoli.

The carrots are still growing, luckily.



Between the kangaroos, possums, wombats, potoroos, birds, bush turkeys; I guess I should be grateful if anything makes it.



So, now the dilemma - how to keep my plants alive.

For now, I'll put that on hold and work on my indoor sprouting.

I love sprouts and growing your own is not only cost effective but so easy to do.


How To:

Line a tray with organic cotton balls.
Sprinkle 1 tblsp of desired sprout, over the cotton.
Then, water until the seeds so that the cotton absorbs all the moisture.

Cover for the first day or two until the seeds have started growing.



Ensure that there is enough water by gently pressing your finger on the cotton and if moisture gathers around your fingertip - then that's sufficient.



Sit the seeds by a well ventilated and sunny window for some photosynthesis.



Allow to grow for about a week or so - depending on what you are sprouting.



Snip the sprouts at the base and add to a salad or to garnish a meal.



Example to follow...

x

1 comment:

  1. I grow lots of herbs, but never tried sprouts, now I can't wait to try growing them. Luckily I don't have to worry about the kangaroos and the wombats, but I bet it would be cool! Never seen either in the wild!

    ReplyDelete