Monday, July 23, 2012

homemade chocolate with amaranth: vegan, low-gi


Homemade chocolate isn’t as difficult as you think it is. If you have all the ingredients available to you, it should take no more than 5 minutes.

Finding vegan chocolate is getting easier, but it’s still a bit of a challenge. Coupled with my love of making things from scratch, creating my own chocolate is a must.

Being the control freak that I am, I like to be able to tailor make my food to my tasting. If you haven’t been able to tell by now, I like to keep my desserts low-gi and not overly sweet.


I added a bit of coconut butter/oil to the recipe to stretch out the cocoa butter; this is where the mass producers would add in milk products.

I know cocoa butter is a bit dear, but it’s well worth the purchase. And a little bit goes a long way.

I’ve used the popped amaranth from my previous post to bulk out the chocolate, resulting in a bit of a ‘chocolate crackle’ adaptation.

This recipe turned out really tasty! Even Joel, who loves his ‘normal’ chocolate, was way on board devouring 4 portions in one sitting.
It’s sweetened just enough to offset the vanilla salt and with the roasted amaranth – yummm..

Other than the popped amaranth, this recipe is raw.


Don’t expect to be eating commercial chocolate when you nibble on a bit of this. I feel my this recipe is taking chocolate back to the raw basics and celebrating what makes chocolate real.

Ingredients

(makes 40)

1/4 c raw cocoa butter
1 tblsp coconut oil
1 tblsp creamed coconut

1/4 raw lucuma powder
3 tblsp raw cocoa

1 tblsp agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
20 drops stevia (add more for desired sweetness)
1 vanilla bean, seeds
1/4 tsp vanilla salt

Melt cocoa butter, coconut oil and creamed coconut over warm water.
Meanwhile, combine amaranth, lucuma and cocoa powder in a bowl, mix together and create a well in the middle.
In the well pour remaining ingredients and slowly add the melted oils.
Stir thoroughly until all combined and spoon 2 tsp amounts into chocolate moulds or ice cube trays.
Set in the refrigerator to set for a couple of hours.
Then you should be ready to enjoy!
Store in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.


1 comment: