Tuesday, July 3, 2012

lupini beans: how to

I totally didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started soaking these beans.


Thinking they were just like any other dried legume it started with the usual soak, 12 hours. But when I went to look for a recipe that included the Lupini Bean, I quickly realised it was not going to be on the menu for dinner that night.


Similar to the process of preparing olives, this bean would need a lot of love and attention over the coming days.

With constant soaking in brine to draw out the bitterness, I was sure hoping it would be worth it.


The end result was unbelievably amazing.

It's like edamame beans crossed with olives.


These beans are high in fibre and protein and low-gi, so they make a tasty meal/side dish or eaten as is for a nutritional treat.

Ever since they've been ready, we've just been snacking on these beans by the spoonful.

Yum.
  

How To:

organic lupini beans
salt (heaps)
water

Soak the beans for 24 hours, drain.
Then, add the beans with a enough water to cover them and boil in a heavy based saucepan for 2 1/2 hours - topping up the water as needed.
Once boiled, strain and place in a large bowl.
Cover beans with water adding 1 tblsp of salt per 2 c water.
You will need to drain and replace the brine 2 times a day for about 3 or 4 days until all the bitterness is gone and the water is no longer yellowed.
Store in fresh brine in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.


If you have the time and patience to give these little delights a try, I sincerely hope that you do.

2 comments:

  1. We'll definitely be looking out for these beans- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up eating these! In Portugal these are served in bars alongside a nice cold one much like pretzels/peanuts in the States. It is sill one of my favorite snacky foods :)

    ReplyDelete