Wednesday, July 25, 2012

sprouted wheat berry salad with jerusalem artichokes: raw


This past weekend there was an Organic Food and Living festival on in Sydney.
I hadn’t heard it was on until a couple of days before hand and was glad I had a free day to head down and check it out.

It took us 4.5 hours to make our way around to all the stalls, and by the end I was so inspired.





Lunch was awesome too, we had some spelt vegan pizzas.. me thinks I will be doing my own adaptation soon!



On the way out, I noticed a guy selling a heap of organic fresh produce and seeds, and was immediately drawn in by the Jerusalem Artichokes. One box for $2, SOLD!

I've been meaning to get my hands on this tasty root, however my grocer doesn't seem to stock any.


Natively known as the 'Sunroot' in America (as it is part of the Sunflower family) it is a bit of a nutritional power house. Packed with dietary fibre, anti-oxidants (such as Vitamins C, A, E) and minerals - potassium, iron, and copper. It also contains small levels of valuable B-complex group of vitamins such as folates, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, and thiamin.

Ingredients

(serves 4)

1 c whole organic Australian wheat, soaked for 24 hours
200g Jerusalem artichokes, shaved/finely sliced
½ c fresh basil leaves
bunch of salad greens, roughly chopped
½ lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind
2 tsp hemp seed oil

Note: you will need to start this recipe 2-3 days before hand, to allow time for the wheat to sprout.
Drain and rinse the soaked wheat.
Place wheat in a glass jar, covered with a clean muslin/chux cloth fastened with a rubber band.
Store in a cool dry location rinsing the wheat twice a day for 2 days until the wheat starts to sprout.
Do a final rinse and place in a large bowl.
Add all other ingredients and toss well to combine.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment