Monday, August 13, 2012

fresh pea citrus salad


Fresh peas will forever take me back to my childhood.

My Grandfather has always had a vegetable garden, even now when he is in his mid-eighties he is growing turmeric, ginger, squash, kohlrabi, passion fruit, tomatoes.. and the list goes on.

When I was younger, I would always raid his fresh pea vine.
Seriously, whenever we visited I would strip the plant of all it's juicy peas and devour them on the spot. Slowly making my way along the fence that the vine grew, I was like a pacman.


Not much has changed since childhood though.

Because whenever I visit now, I ask Granddad to take me straight to his garden and show me what he's been growing - although, I don't eat anything without permission these days.

But, if I'm super lucky, he'll pack me up some of his treats and send me on my way.


Ingredients

(makes a side for 2)

1/2 c fresh peas, shelled
1/2 c snow peas, diagonally sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp lime rind, finely grated
5 basil leaves, finely sliced
2 tsp olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss well.
Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment