Thursday, August 30, 2012

vegan curried 'egg' salad cups


I love a good curried egg salad. It reminds me of staying at my Grandma’s house when we were younger ‘kidlets’ . My Grandparents are/were mad water skiers and we would spend hours on end out on their ski boat in the summertime. My attempts of water skiing were never a great success. You see, I wouldn't let go of the rope when I fell and would be dragged under the water to the point of nearly drowning. This made me develop a bit of a phobia. So, I spent most of the time clinging for my life on the donut and cruising on the kneeboard.

Grandma would always make up a massive eski full of sandwiches and come lunchtime we were always famished. With my brother and sister we would sit with our feet in the water enjoying a super satisfying lunch of curried egg sandwiches.


As well as the lunches on the boat, during the school term when we would stay with our Grandparents, Grandma would always be up first thing in the morning making our lunches. Adding lots of homemade goodies like biscuits, fruit cake, Grandad’s dehydrated bananas and of course homemade bread with fresh curried egg and lettuce. There’s nothing better than meals full of nostalgia so that’s what this one is.

Although veganised and totally adapted from the original, it still takes me back to the summer days on the ski boat as the texture and flavours are still all there.


Ingredients

(serves 2)

300g organic firm tofu (homemade or otherwise)
2-3 tsp mild/stong curry powder
1 tsp hemp seed oil (or oil of choosing – olive also works great)
1 tblsp nutritional yeast flakes
pinch of salt and pepper

iceberg lettuce leaves
snow pea sprouts (optional)

Crumble the tofu into a small bowl, using fingers.
Stir in all other ingredients until well combined.
Lay out a lettuce cup and fill with curried ‘egg’ and sprouts (as much or as little as you like).
Roll and munch down straight away.

If you want to make it a take-away option, pack the lettuce cups and curried egg in a separate containers and make the rolls later - perfect for a picnic.



3 comments:

  1. Are nutritional yeast flakes and brewer's yeast the same thing? can either one be used in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to be a pain, but they're not the same product :/ you can find nutrional savory yeast flakes from a health shop. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

    ReplyDelete