Saturday, November 3, 2012

orange almond cake


Finally on the mend and back at work with only a lingering cough. Being sick is just the worst, and I was definitely very miserable.

Feeling better means I'm back in the kitchen but still feeling like something pretty simple and basic, I whipped up this orange almond cake. I can't take any credit for the recipe as I picked it up in a cookbook somewhere, the name and place evades me.


I found this cake to be just so moist and flavoursome, holding its form perfectly even with no flour. I shared with my family who was also surprised at the moistness of the cake.

I didn't have almond meal, but had plenty of almonds on hand, so I processed 200 g in the food processor until fine.


Ingredients

(serves 8-10)

2 oranges
1 1/2 c almond meal (or 200g almonds ground)
6 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1/2 c raw sugar

Heat oven to 160 C and line a spring form cake dish with baking paper
Place oranges in a pot and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 45 minutes, drain and cool.
Place in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Fold in almond meal, eggs, sugar and bi-carb gently.
Pour mixture into the tin and place in oven to bake for 45-50 minutes (until firm).
Remove from oven and cool.
Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. This is GREAT! I am a personal chef and have some low carb clients...made for them as a side for Chicken Pot Pie Soup... Used xylitol instead of the sugar...it's sooooo good! I got a little bag (on sale) of seedless nectarines and cooked in microwave instead of oranges.... now i have a jar of oranges ready to make a couple more batches... I also love Trader Joe's Almond Meal... best texture/rougher grain for stuff like this! I'm going to try some other fruits with this as a base recipe... Wendy

    ReplyDelete